As a global leading centrifugal pump manufacturer, it is no secret that caring for the environment is a forever growing core value of our business. For more than 140 years, we have been putting our clients first whilst ensuring we take care of our environment as much as possible.
SPP Pumps are now committed to ensuring that we achieve a state where our activities result in no net addition of greenhouse gases to the climate.
We like nothing more than sharing our company news and with that comes great gratification of how we are gradually helping our planet and most importantly playing our part in building a healthier future for forthcoming generations. Take a look below at our developments to date and upcoming plans that are helping shape our future for the public, society and environment while providing quality, products and services to our customers.
Environment Improvements to Date
• Coleford Service Centre Office Lighting
- All our lighting in the offices has been changed to LED saving approx. £2K per year.
• Decarbonising our electricity sourcing at Coleford and Hyde (Manufacturing Operations and South West Service Centre) and Hyde facility
- 100% renewable energy is sourced through EON.
• Dewatering Stage 5 Q Engine
- EU regulations limits the number of particles with a diameter greater than 23nm, this has been accepted into UK law. The Stage V emission meets this requirement.
• Recycling Capabilities
- SPP confidently recycle metal waste, paint thinners, batteries & Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE).
• Spares Packing
- The spares packing team consciously collect packaging from deliveries to re-use for outgoing goods contributing to our recycling programme.
• Coleford Site General Waste
- All general waste is taken off-site and is destroyed as part of an “energy recovered from waste” programme by a waste contractor.
Planned Environment Implementations
• Factory Lighting
- A survey is planned by a lighting company to determine total cost savings gained through the change to LED
• Waste Provider
- Working with our current waste supplier to provide adequate recycling bins to allow us to increase our recycling percentage from 66%.
• Review of Working from Home practices
- The win-win scenario of working from home where possible is the reduction in energy consumption from travelling to / from the office and in the office environment and the improvement in staff welfare.
• Photovoltaic Energy Production
- A feasibility study is to commence in Jan 2021 with regard to the use of solar panels at our main Coleford Manufacturing centre. EU regulations limits the number of particles with a diameter greater than 23nm, this has been accepted into UK law. The Stage V emission meets this requirement.
• Packaging of Pump Sets
- A review to commence in Jan 2021 of current plastic packaging materials aiming to replace or reduce in-line with new Plastic Packaging Tax and the Extended Producer Responsibilities (part of the Packaging Regulations).
• Environmental Committee
- A new company committee will be introduced in early 2021. The committee will facilitate environmental improvements and determine the environmental strategy for achieving Carbon Net-Zero by 2050.
With a heritage to be proud of and extensive company experience, SPP will continue to maintain its reputation for quality and value ensuring that all market and customer needs are met.
Keep your eyes peeled for company environment updates and future plans. For more information on any of the above please do get in touch with one our dedicated team. We look forward to hearing from you.